Saturday 27 September 2014

Mock Magazine Layout Inspiration

Before I design my mock magazine I wanted to refer back to the  context I am trying to recreate. I have inserted a few of the FaceOn Covers and articles that may help to inspire my cover.

The cover on the left uses a selection of colours in the font surrounding the image, which have been selected from the image and help tie it together. The composition of the magazine is layed out very clearly with alot of different fonts and sizes of font used to keep an interesting yet subtle flow of text around the image.
I like how the magazine title is clean and white, and very clearly tells the audience what they are reading.
The cover on the left I did not like as much. The make-up is very blended into the background, and dosent get the attention it should. Also the title is hidden behind the image, which i find looks quite messy, and the black title at the bottom of the page is very bold, not blending in with the rest of the image  composition.





The composition of photographs on the left work very well together. The black and white border makes the pink colour of the feature stand out especially as the backdrop used was grey, so the page doesn't look too white!
They started the feature off with a small graphic under a large image containing the words 'face off presents' which gives a nice introduction before flowing into the title of the piece and the bulk of the writing. I also like the coloured credit section on the right hand side. Using a pink text to highlight the title of the credits before using an easier to read black font to list the credits.

The right hand image is a feature regarding looks and products used to create these looks. I like the borderless images, with a small section of font, and was also drawn to the floral headpieces used in the images. If i was creating a whole mock magazine this would be a good idea to consider including in my work.







I also looked at 'onmakeup magazine' which contained a centrepiece of memorable high fashion/editorial magazine covers from a selection of years. This was good to compare with the style of fashion editorials and my own work. I feel my work definatley has a place as a make-up magazine feature rather than as a fashion editorial as a lot of these are studio based and my location is not one that would feature on a fashion magazine cover.

No comments:

Post a Comment