Friday 17 October 2014

Lace Front Wig Make-Up Designs




For this project I really wanted to concentrate on an alternate design structure. Therefore once I had completed the hair designs, I then scanned in the face chart and sketched on make-up ideas. I focused on 8 for each piece, so 24 in all, which is double the amount I have chosen to develop compared to the last unit. *Please see original designs in accompanying book*

Design 1 (Lace Front Wig) was designed using a triad of colours, pink purple and blue, to help create the vision of a faerie queen, emerging from her bright floral 'kingdom'. I added very small amounts of blue, as this is a colour that does not appear in my wigs. The feminine eye shape works with the pale pink blush contouring on the cheek, to create this impression, and the purple lip makes the look more eyecatching and powerful to the viewer.   Design 2 uses a duo of purples on the eye, accentuated around the eye socket. Purple is a colour very connected to dreams, hence my selection and draws the viewer to the models eyes, accompanied by a natural yet feminine pink lip

Design 3, is the only design using no eyelashes for this wig. I also wanted to look at using no eye make-up at all and expressing colour through the lips and cheek, however I think using a purple cheek with a pink and green gradient lip is a little too powerful and more of a colour clash than a beautiful contrast of colour, and doesn't give the essence of nature through the face.  Design 4, uses gold leaf to express the royal aspect of the faeries, and brings some texture into the piece. I think the design uses too much on this occasion, however paired with a purple lip would give a lovely rich tone, for another narrative shoot, but unfortunately not this one. The natural cheek doesn't tone down this look enough.



Design 5, looks at using a naturalistic green colour around the eye as this can often be a colour associated with mythical faeries, contrasted with a purple lip, however looking at my narrative and the idea of envy I believe this would be better suited to the tall cage wig look. Design 6 uses a lot of angular colour placement and contour on the cheek, inverting the highlight and contour so that the deeper purple is placed ontop of the pink. These colours are repeated around the eye giving an angular feel. This paired with the orange toned pink lip potentially could add an edgy yet feminine feel to the look and is something I am looking to trial.

Design 7 again looks at using purple on the eye with a pink lip, similar to design two, and uses a natural rose pink blusher. Despite a lot of my designs using a lot of colour, I feel this one doesnt have enough colour placed on the face and the make-up may get lost in the vibrance of the wigs.
Design 8 again uses a duo of colours the same as design 2, however these are contrasting colours. I have tried the green around the eye one more time, blending it with a pink shadow, however I don't think that blending two contrasting shades is the right thing to do for such a naturalistic beauty based image.
After analysing my images in this way, a lot more critically than when I placed the colours onto the templates, I have decided to take forward design 2 and also something a little different in design 6 for trialling on the face and then further development.



No comments:

Post a Comment