Thursday 9 October 2014

Lecture Programme Autumn 2014

Throughout the term we have had a selection of lecture sessions that will inform our make-up practise. Below is a short description of each one and how it helped inform my own project.

- Imagining the Demonic;

This lecture looked at how the demonic can be imagined through history/religion/ethnology/phycology/mythology/art  as well as how cultural beliefs, and how our own mind creates a response to what we think the demonic is.
Although I feel this lecture was a lot more helpful for members of the group studying prosthetics and looking at the demonic and grotesque, it also encouraged me to look at the myhthology of faeries, and referencing the book 'Good Faeries Bad Faeries' I was able to source some images of demonic faeries, and this informed my research into the mythological side of the study.

- Digital Make-up Design;

This lecture looked at how make up and CGI techniques have improved throughout history and also how the make-up industry is threatened by the advances in CGI and how it could soon completely replace prosthetic make-up but also cosmetic beauty make-ups if need be. This is something to consider throughout my studies even as someone who initially works with hair and wigs, the costings of this trade could potentially be endanger in the future, as CGI could be a cheaper alternative.

- Hair Politics;

This session discussed a chronological order of the development of hair and wigs from the Egyptian era up until todays styles. This lecture was very engaging for myself who has chosen to develop my skills in hair styling and design, so will be crucial for me to recap on for this project swell as future projects. Unfortunately there was no information on the elizabethan period, therefore I am unable to reference information relating to this period in time, however will refer to this project when starting any project involving hair, to hopefully spark a research session in the historical aspects of the hair.

Commercial and editorial work;

This lecture with Laura covered how make-ups are defined through different parts of the industry and what regulations (lighting, camera style etc.) that are pretty standard to individual industries will effect certain aspects of the make-up design and application. We also discussed portfolios and what to include in them. I found this very useful, and will be referencing it in my PPP unit, but it has also contributed to the layout of my portfolio in this units hand in. I will be looking at the techniques noted down for beauty make-ups in this lecture, and how I can apply them when applying and designing my own make-ups.


The cosmetic advertisement semiotic analysis;

This lecture was one I was very keen to attend, as having briefly covered it in my written unit last year it is something I was interested in. The lecture covered how we read an image and how it is constructed to be read by the consumer. This made me consider my context in more depth and how I will use my images to construct an appropriate final outcome.

- Sustainability and the make-up artist;
This lecture I unfortunately was not in attendance for due to illness, however my peers have informed me the lecture was very useful and discussed the sustainability of make-up and cosmetic hair and skin products and also some of the sulphates and other ingredients hidden in products which are very bad for health. This is something I am very aware of, and also struggle with, as an avid fan of MAC as an in particular brand, I struggle to use their products knowing that they 1. Animal test, especially being owned by Estee Lauder who claim all their products are cruelty free. and 2. use chemicals and pigments that are within the guidelines of their manufacturers in China, yet would be banned in the UK. This is just one brand I am aware of that practise exactly what was discussed in the lecture, however I know more also do. As I practise more in make-up and begin to rebuild my kit, I would like to use brands that are cruelty and paraben free so I can confidently use the products and agree with their ethical background.

No comments:

Post a Comment