Monday 24 November 2014

Cage 1 Construction

 After having an induction into welding with Will, I began to create my wig cage structure. First I used the small metal roller to create a small circular base for my models head. This was smaller than the 58 circumference of the head, as it was to sit on the crown and have her hair dressed into it. I used a piece of metal that was 48cm long. I then used a 65cm piece of metal to make the larger circular piece of metal, which will represent the top of the flower pot. I found using this machine very simple once I had managed to get the right technique of pulling the metal through the rollers.


Then I began to look at the height of the flower pot.

 I had designed the flower pot to stand 25cm from the head, so I cut 4 strips of medium weight metal at 28cm - allowing 3cm for overhang on the circular base. Then I used the welding machine to first attach all 4 strips to the smaller base circle. This worked really well and I became confident on the welding machine - perhaps too confident as I then proceeded to burn my finger! Remembering that the metal is hot and not rushing into this process is essential. I was pleased with this process so far.




I then curved all the standing metal strips into the larger circle, before taking the structure over to the welding machine and welding the strips onto the larger circle. This was quite simple as the bottom was all attached, however making sure I kept within that 3cm overhang on the standing strips was key! I then trimmed off the overhang on the side where the top circle tilts, and now will have to look at rounding the sharp cut pieces of metal, before looking at someway to wrap the metal, making it safe for the model to wear. Overall I was very happy with the final outcome of the cage, as I was not familiar with the technique but fortunately due to seeing examples managed to figure it out. I potentially could use a horizontal piece of metal around the middle just to make the cage even more secure when the hair is applied.

* UPDATED 7TH NOVEMBER*

After focusing on my wefted wig for a while, I have returned to my Cage, which I believe needs to be reinforced to be stronger. Therefore I have created circles in a medium weight metal, which is spot welded around the cage to keep the structure together. This worked well and now will be able to hold more weight and I am pleased with the changes.





No comments:

Post a Comment