Thursday 20 November 2014

Covering the Cages

It was essential that once the jagged ends of the welded joins were removed, a padding was applied to protect the model from any kind of injury and also equally to give a nice clean finish!
I used glue gun with the ribbon, and applied a small patch of glue at every 5 wraps I had completed - this secured the ribbon continually around the base. I did this on both cages - covering both rings which would touch the forehead and crown of the hair on Cage 2. (Only one ring is covered on the image on the right)

I then placed the tutu net which was cream on Cage 1, purposely to blend with the blonde wefts that will be placed onto. I chose green net for Wig 2 so that between the flowers, flecks of green may shine through giving a natural and very sheer effect to break up the floral covering. I stitched the net around the ribbon covered metal ring, using our translucent thread used for whipping. This kept both components together tight and securely. I repeated this process on Cage 2.


I then used grips to hold the net tightly together, and creating a vertical seam up the cage (1). This was important to keep it torte so that it would hold the hair ontop. From the left hand image you can see then I continued this seam across the top side of the wig, which created darts which I actually removed. (see right image.)





On cage 2 it was slightly harder to cover. I worked from the bottom upwards, creating darts until I reached the top section, which also required darts and also some material to be removed. The covering is not as neat as the first cage due to the difficulty of the shape, however I did manage to keep it tight which will support the flowers placed ontop. Under advice of my tutors, I have been advised to apply the flowers with my glue gun rather than stitching them, as the net is quite large in gaps so this may not support the flowers simply with thread.


No comments:

Post a Comment