Friday 28 November 2014

Specific flower research/designation

Each flower I have purchased to be included in my wigs, has an individual meaning as to why it is in my work, which is something I have developed as critical context through this project. Although colour variations were hard to guarantee on the day, below are the varieties of flower chosen to be within my pieces and why;
Carnation: 
The meanings of carnations include fascination, distinction, and love. Carnations in history often were found in shades of pale pink and peach, but over the years the palette of available colors has grown to include red, yellow, white, purple, and even green. I have selected a classical peach coloured carnation which can be seen in historical paintings from the elizabethan shakespearian era and also lilac carnations which I believe with the purple hue really expresses the idea of fascination that the carnation represents. (images from sparkle of nature)

Roses: 
Roses in a shade of pink, often represent grace and elegance, this is true of the outcome of my project I am trying to create. I also selected lilac roses, which are extremely rare interbred form of rose, often called Pacific Blue, which again I believe echoes the mystical, fascination, that the carnation also represents, and this is appropriate to my project and the fascination with fictional faeries. (images from funmozer.com)




Gerberas: One of the most popular flowers in the world, Gerbera daisies represent innocence, purity, and cheerfulness. Their meanings stem from those attributed to the general daisy family and include innocence and purity, as well as being a classic symbol of beauty. These flowers will be the ideal choice for my outcome to represent the innocence of the faerie but also the beauty and purity of her. I have again chosen lilac, as well as the white colour which will represent purity, and also yellow, which will bring cheerfulness into the pieces, and also break up the quantity of lilacs, and pinks, really standing out. (images from floristpro.com and pinterest.com)

Sweet Peas: 

The sweetpea flower is associated with delicate pleasure, blissful pleasure, departure and goodbyes. This is appropriate for my outcome as my faerie character will be delicate and feminine (I have selected colours light pink, lilac and white to represent this) and also the narrative features her returning to her own natural habitat, leaving behind the human world, so the meaning of this flower is the correct flower to be included within my pieces.
(Images from green fingers.com and sweetpeasdirect.com)

No comments:

Post a Comment