Sunday 23 November 2014

Cage 2 Construction

My initial design required me to create large circles of metal, which then would be cut in half, creating equal curves from the base, and a nice rounded cage, however I found this didn't give enough height and also was very difficult to get into to spot weld. Therefore I had to go back to the drawing board and redesign the piece. I am glad that I began this process with the simpler cage (1) as this one is a lot more complex to construct.

After failing at creating my initial design of the cage, I began to attempt my second design, which hopefully will be more manageable to make and create the shape I wanted. I began by creating the circular top base, which will sit very lightly on the top of the crown of the head. I then measured two 40cm pieces of medium metal to bend equally from 15-25cm, creating the bends and height of the structure.


I created 3 of these pieces which were evenly spread around the cage at approx 6cm gaps. I wanted to create a 4th piece however the structure was becoming quite heavy and I felt saving any weight will help. I then attached another rounded structure to the base of the first tall structure. This was made of lighter smaller metal, which will sit around the face. I found this a hard structure to create but was pleased with the final outcome.

No comments:

Post a Comment