Sunday 30 November 2014

18th Century wig influences [books]


 The most iconic image of 18th century wigs, and who I will always research and refer back to when looking at the era, is Marie Antoinette. Her tall, extravagant wigs were pioneering and also a complete new era of fashion in hair. The first book I used to research this was the book on the left 'Marie Antoinette's Head' which contained educational and useful information that I will be applying to my extravagant, tall cage wig. The book also covered the development and style of peri-wigs within the 18th century, and enclosed illustrations of the wigs, as well as information on the hygiene, illness and pests that would often inhabit a wig. The book was one I found very useful to recollect my knowledge on the 18th century and wig styling and below are some images from the pages I found particularly informative and appropriate to my body of work.



The next book I consulted to inform my studies on 18th century hair and to also give myself a visual reference from the era was 'Daring Do's'.
This book wasn't quite as comprehensive as the previous, as it was based on hairstyles around all era, not just the 18th century. I did however find some pages with sketched images of 18th century styles, similar to the style of Corsons illustrations.

The book was not as useful in gaining information as it only referenced the illustrations of her extravagant styles, however I have included it and referenced from the illustrated page.

 The final book I used for referencing was Corsons Fashions in Hair, which I believe is the 'go to' guide to historical hair styling. The book had a wealth of 18th century designs, although the mens section from this era was larger than the female styling section. I selected a few images below referencing the illustrations that inspired me. I am now hoping to combine height into one of my designs, knowing that it is appropriate for another era in history, but also appropriate for developing my mythological project. I do not want the wigs to be complete reconstructions from any era in history, however referencing style contributions from the historical hair, is something I would like to include.

No comments:

Post a Comment